1/28/2012

Local


Last summer I was enjoying my ice-cream in a hot summer day in Punavuori district. I sat on my longboard in the corner of two big streets and just let people pass me by. Suddenly someone came to me and asked if I was a local in Helsinki. He was from London and had started this art project about locals and tourists in various cities around the world. Maybe I'd be interested to take part? Hell yes!

Pics by me in Local vs Tourist

I was handed a disposable camera, an envelope with an address and enough stamps to London. The assignment was to take pictures of "my Helsinki". Streets, people, what ever I wanted. And once the camera was full, just return it to him via post.

Today I got an email from Pedro, the guy who gave me the camera. The site was up and running! This far they have pictures from Helsinki and Mexico City from both locals and tourist. It's kind of an interesting detail, that most cameras sent back are from tourists. I wonder where all the locals have forgotten their cameras...?

Check the Local vs Tourist -site

Watching those pictures make me miss summer. It's hot days and nights and the endless feeling of peace and happiness. Have a lovely weekend everybody!

Ei kommentteja: